The Sprouts Program is a values-driven camp experience designed for children who have completed grades 1-3.
Our Sprouts Goals
In times of joy and hardship, the Sprouts program aims to provide a safe and nurturing environment for our campers, with the purpose of guiding them to embark on a journey of self discovery and the development of their self identities. We hope to foster their ability to identify the ways in which they can provide support to their peers, parents, friends and community.
In the Sprouts program, we strive for a community in which campers can not only learn these skills through our programming, but also see them in action through our staff. Our campers and staff go through the journey of learning about Leadership, Identity, Ethics and Values, and Communication together, learning from one another and growing throughout the week.
We hope to inspire campers and counselors alike to build deeper connections, to provide a safe space and demonstrate compassion for one another. We want to motivate them to be more than they thought they could be, to gain the courage to unravel their best selves. Our goal is that by the end of the week, our campers will not only have opened that door to discovery and learned more about themselves, but also continue down that road of exploration to further cultivate and empower their sense of self.
A Typical Day in Sprouts
Sprouts are divided into small groups that consist of 5 to 7 campers and led by at least 2 counselors. The ratio of 2 to 3 campers per counselor ensures sufficient supervision.
- Warm Up Time – a short activity led by PDs and counselors to get our campers energized for the day!
- Speaker Session – Morning sessions with the speaker to learn about the theme of the year
- Swing Choir (Dance) & Choir – Dancing and singing sessions that are practiced daily and performed at TAF Night
- Counselor-designed Workshops – Workshops that are created and conducted by Sprouts counselors, ranging in topics of culture to physical activity
- Family (big/lil’ sib) Time – Camp-wide inter-programming for campers to create relationships with campers/staff outside of the Sprouts Program
- Small Group Time – Blocked-off sessions led by their designated counselors with their fellow campers to reflect on the lesson(s) taught that day alongside sib letters and small group bonding
- “Wash Yo’ Self” – Lights-out festivities including showering, brushing teeth, and calling the parents to ease the bouts of homesickness