The Juniors Program is designed for campers who have completed grades 4 and 5.
Our Juniors Goals
The Juniors Program focuses on our camper’s development of lifelong skills through fun and unique experiences in a community that cultivates respect for self, others, and the environment. We want to empower young minds for servant leadership and innovative thinking for today’s challenges and tomorrow’s opportunities.
The Juniors Program is uniquely designed to further develop campers who have graduated from the Sprouts program, using what they’ve learned about the roots of their identity as a stepping stone to heavier topics. We strive to challenge our campers with age-appropriate discussions, as they mature to an age where they are able to recognize the value of different backgrounds, values, passions, and experiences.
Since TAF rotates through four key themes, new lessons and workshops are designed by our dedicated Juniors counselors every year to immerse our campers with different learning styles to fully comprehend the theme of the year:
- To inspire Juniors campers/counselors to be more than they thought they could be.
- To spark joy through their TAF journey and apply these experiences in their lives.
- To discover the power of vulnerability and gain the courage to unravel into their best selves.
A Typical Day for a Juniors Camper
Juniors are divided into small groups that are consisted of 6 to 8 campers and led by 2 counselors. The ratio of 3 to 4 campers per counselor ensures personalized investment in the growth of each camper, as well as sufficient supervision.
Juniors have fun-filled days at TAF that include but not limited to the daily activities below:
- Speaker Session – Morning sessions with the speaker to learn about the theme of the year
- Small Group Time – Dedicated sessions led by counselors, with their small group campers, to reflect on the lesson(s) taught that day alongside sib letters and small group bonding
- Swing Choir (Dance) & Choir – Dancing and singing sessions that are practiced daily and performed at TAF Night
- Counselor-designed Workshops – Campers will learn from and have fun in workshops created and led by Juniors counselors. Traditionally these workshops have included ‘Pin the Tail on the Taiwanese Landmark’, obstacle course challenges, and Masterchef Junior type competitions.
- Family (big/lil’ sib) Time – Camp-wide interprogramming activities to create intergenerational relationships with campers/staff outside of the Juniors Program
- “Wash Yo’ Self” – Lights-out festivities including showering, brushing teeth, and calling parents to ease any (but rare) bouts of homesickness!